Acne is one of the most common skin diseases, affecting up to 80% of adults aged 20-30 years. Often after passing the inflammatory phase, it leaves behind scars of different shape, size and number.
What kind of acne scars are there?
The wide range of acne scars is influenced by gender, age, racial belonging, as well as the hormonal balance and hereditary predisposition.
Generally acne scars can be divided into:
– atrophic – sunk under the skin
– hypertrophic – raised above the skin level
What is the effect of laser therapy on acne scars/
Laser system Cynosure Icon ™ is the latest generation non-ablative Erbium Yag laser, which hurts the skin in and around the scar as a result of which the intensive regeneration processes are activated. This leads to a new, improved structure of the treated tissue.
Which acne scars can be treated and in which areas?
Predominantly atrophic (sunken) scars can be treated, both in the area of the face and on the back and neckline.
The laser changes not only the texture of the scar, but also its surface (the presence of pigmentation, redness and single vessels). Better and faster results are obtained with recent scars.
What happens during the treatment?
• The duration of the treatment varies depending on the size of the affected area. It takes about 20-30 minutes. The patient feels warmth and slight pinching at each pulse, which is completely tolerable. In extremely rare cases and depending on the area being treated and the sensitivity of the patient, an analgesic cream can be applied 20 minutes before the therapy. After the end of the treatment, hydrating and photo-protective cream with 50 SPF is applied.
How will I feel after the treatment?
Immediately after the treatment the patient may return to her/his daily activities.
The treated area has a slight swelling and redness. These symptoms can last for 5-7 days.
Make-up can be used immediately after the treatment to cover the redness.
It is important and absolutely mandatory for the patient to use high SPF 50 photo-protective creams at least 2 months after the end of the last treatment.
How many treatments are needed to achieve a therapeutical effect?
The number of treatments is determined depending on the type, depth and the times since the occurrence of acne scars. Usually, the therapeutic effect (texture improvement and fading) is gradually achieved within 4 to 6 treatments. The interval between treatments is 3 to 4 weeks.
When will I see the result?
It takes 3 months after completing the course of treatment to see the full result. After this period, the need for additional treatments is assessed.
Which is the best time for the treatment?
Depending on the area where the acne scars are located, it is desirable that laser therapy be conducted during the seasons in which the affected area is not exposed to direct sunlight. Such are autumn, winter and spring.
What are the contraindications to the treatment?
There are conditions in which the treatment is strictly contraindicated due to the high risk of unpredictable side effects:
• presence of open wounds
• presence of tan from recent exposure to sun or solarium
• patients who are going to have sun exposure within 30 days of the last treatment
• active herpes and other skin infections in the area of the treated area
• Malignant skin formations
• in case of systemic intake of drugs enhancing the sensitivity of the skin to the rays, etc.
By viewing the content of the site, you agree to their use.